Not your typical place for laptop camping, SOMA Streat Food Park is a nice place to hang out if you’re in the mood for semi-fresh air (unfortunately it’s by a busy street and freeway) and want snacks or a meal. The trucks that park there change all the time.
- Food: 3/5 – Quality varies, vendors change constantly, check website for who’s there. Usually you’ll find up to a dozen food trucks peddling everything from Japanese to street tacos. You may find empanadas, hot dogs, Asian sandwiches, Hawaiian food, BBQ, gyros, etc. Sometimes you’ll spot a dessert focused truck. I recommend Adam’s Grub Truck, Brass Knuckles, Frozen Kuhsterd, KoJa Kitchen, Curry Up Now and Tacos El Tuca.
- Coffee: 3/5 – Not sure how often they have it but one truck had beer, wine, sangria and coffee.
- Wi-fi: 5/5 – Free, very fast, no password required
- Ambiance: 4/5 – Funky, fun with a large covered patio, counters, old school bus. Lots of places to stand, sit outside or sit inside for one person or groups. Very relaxed feel. There are several TVs in the covered patio area.
- Noise: 2/5 – They play music and it’s right by the freeway so there’s a lot of background noise
- Plugs: 1/5 – There might be one inside the school bus
- Parking: 4/5 – Mostly 2 hour free spaces that aren’t hard to find, you can chance parking in Costco’s parking lot though it’s supposed to be for customers only
- Comfort: 3/5 – Chairs aren’t padded but there’s plenty of room to spread out and semi-fresh air
- Bathroom: 4/5 – Available, separate ones for men and women
- Art: 3/5 – It’s a parking lot and outdoors so there isn’t much room for art but the food trucks have interesting designs and there is a painting by the school bus
Tips: Some trucks take credit cards but most are cash only. ATM available. Skee Ball machines on site. Pet friendly. Lines are rarely long. Open for lunch and dinner 7 days a week.
“Laptop Campers Unite!”
- Laptop Camper